• Email
  • Print
Sorry, this page has moved!
Please click here to go to the new location.

Code Enforcement Division

It is the mission of the City of San Bernardino's Code Enforcement Division to enhance public safety and the quality of life in alliance with communities through objective enforcement of laws and codes.

To build trust and improve the quality of life on a daily basis for the residents of the City of San Bernardino through timely responses, visible reduction in blight and collaborative justice.





Our neighborhoods are the environment in which we live and raise our families. Blight and nuisances can devalue, detract, and degrade the quality of any neighborhood. Recognizing the importance of protecting the home environment, the City has adopted codes that govern the use and maintenance of private property. While many of the City's codes deal with private residential property, there are codes that regulate the condition of commercial properties as well.

List of San Bernardino Municipal Codes
City of San Bernardino Development Code



Cars / Trucks

1. Vehicles may park on the street, but must be in running condition. If not operable, i.e., no wheels, engine, etc., they can be towed by the City. They must also have current licenses and registration.

2. Vehicles can be parked on the driveway, but must be in running condition and have current vehicle registration. If they appear inoperable or junked out, you may be asked to remove them.

3. A vehicle cannot be parked on a unpaved surface (dirt or lawn) area or lot.

4. You can work on your own personal car in your garage. It must be registered at that address.

5. A vehicle must not block a sidewalk or any other public right-of-way.

6. Commercial trucks and trailers (semi-trucks) cannot be parked on the street in a residential neighborhood except when loading and unloading.

Call Parking Enforcement at (909) 388-4969.

7. Call (909) 384-7272 for information or complaints about abandoned vehicles on public or private property.

8. Recreation vehicles cannot be parked on the street for more than 48 continuous hours. After 48 hours the vehicle must be moved at least 500 feet for a minimum of 48 hours before it can be returned.

9. Recreation vehicles stored on residential properties must be parked on a paved pad and screened from public view to a height of 6 feet and stored behind the front setback.


The operation of a junk yard or auto dismantling yard is allowed only in an industrial zone and requires a special permit from the City Planning Commission. This kind of operation is not allowed in a residential neighborhood.

Garage / Yard Sale
You are allowed to have a yard sale on the 3rd weekend of every month ("weekend" means Friday, Saturday & Sunday).  No signs are allowed to be posted on public property (i.e. utility poles).  Citations may be issued if you conduct a yard sale on non-designated weekends.  For more information please call (909) 384-7272.

Garage / Yard Sale schedule dates (2021)
Illegal Dumping

Persons seen "dumping" their trash in public or private places can be prosecuted for this violation if the following information is available:

1. Name and address of violator.
2. Eye-witness testimony.
3. Vehicle license plate number.
4. Physical description of violator.

The City of San Bernardino contracts with San Bernardino County Land Use Services for weed abatement services.
Please call (909) 884-4056 for complaints regarding weed abatement.
Garbage, Trash and Bulky Item Pick Ups

Any accumulation of garbage, trash, appliance, car parts, old furniture, scrap materials, etc. that is a visual blight to the neighborhood must be removed from the property. Call 384-7272 for information or complaints.

Burrtec customers can call (909) 804-4222 for bulky item pick-ups. You can also visit their website at www.burrtec.com.

Unsightly or Deteriorating Structures
1. Buildings cannot be left abandoned, unsecured, partially destroyed or in an unreasonable state of partial construction.

2. Unpainted buildings or paint that has been allowed to deteriorate so as to become unsightly are unlawful property nuisances.

3. Buildings may not be left with broken glass or no glass at all. This constitutes a hazardous condition and invites trespassers and malicious mischief.

4. Graffiti must be painted over or removed.

Yard Areas

1. Front and visible side yards are required to be landscaped (except for improved surfaces including but not limited to walks and driveways) with trees, shrubs, ground cover or decorative rock, redwood bark and/or lawn.

2. Trees, shrubs, lawns and other plantings shall be maintained, including regular irrigation, pruning of trees, trimming of shrubs and cutting lawns.

3. Property shall be free of overgrown or dead vegetation, including but not limited to weeds, trees or limbs.

Streets or Alley-Ways
If you see a street or alleyway with piles of trash or debris, call (909) 384-7272 and make a report.

There are rules for building fences.

We recommend following the City's Guidelines outlined in the Development Code. Please reference Municipal Code Chapter 19.20.030 in General Regulations for details. Call the Planning Division at (909) 384-5567 if you have any questions about building a fence.

San Bernardino Free of Graffiti
Public Works Department has the responsibility of remove graffiti throughout the City. The graffiti removal program is a multi-faceted endeavor which involves various City departments, but we need your help to ensure unsightly graffiti is removed quickly and vandals are caught.

Unlawful Property Nuisance-Penalties

The City will seek voluntary compliance whenever possible. But should it become necessary, the Municipal Code provides penalties:

1) Criminal Citation or Administrative Civil Penalty - Maximum penalty of $1000.00 fine for every day a violation exists.

2) The City may have the work done at the owners expense-in addition to paying the cost of the abatement the property owner will be charged city administrative costs. If the bill is not paid it may be placed on the owners property taxes.

Other City Neighborhood Services

Loose Dogs or Animal Complaints

Animal Control Division (909) 384-1304 OR (909) 384-5311  - 24 Hours


Stopped-up Street Drains

Department of Public Works (909) 384-5045


Non-working Traffic Signals

Department of Public Works (909) 384-5111


Trees & Bushes Blocking Traffics Signals

Department of Public Works/Operations & Maintenance Division (909) 384-5045


Police Department

Emergency 911

Non-Emergency/Information (909) 384-5742


Shopping Carts

Shopping Cart Retrieval Corp. 1-800-252-4613