Dr. Ben Barton was born on June 8, 1823 in Greenville, SC. He studied medicine in Kentucky and practiced in Alabama and Texas until he came to California in 1854. He resided in El Monte and Northern California until he came to San Bernardino in 1857. He purchased 100 acres of property known as "Old San Bernardino Mission" from Lyman and Rich for $500. In 1858 Barton built an adobe at C and 4th streets where he started San Bernardino's first drug store. He was also the postmaster. The following year he sold this property and gave up practicing medicine to give his full attention to ranching. He was elected to the assembly of the state in 1861 and 1862. He died December 31, 1898.
Photo courtesy of City of San Bernardino Historical and Pioneer Society