Why you should license your pet:

  • A San Bernardino City pet license can provide your pet safe passage home if it becomes lost. If it is injured, its license enables others to notify you more quickly. Our animal control officers will even bring the pet to you, for free, if it is currently licensed and has not been impounded before.

  • A San Bernardino City pet license also provides important proof of current rabies vaccination. Rabies exists in San Bernardino County in certain wild animals as well as domestic animals that come infected through contact with them. Every year hundreds of city residents are bitten by dogs, and some of them will be required to undergo a very expensive rabies treatment because the dog was not currently vaccinated against rabies. While the law does not require rabies vaccinations for cats, it would be prudent for cat owners to do so because of their possible contact with wild animals and bats.

  • Dog licensing is mandatory - cat licensing is voluntary. All dogs over the age of 4 months must be licensed within 30 days. Pet owners moving into the area must also license within 30 days. A current rabies vaccination certificate is required to purchase a license.

License Category (Dogs)

One Year

Two Year

Three Year

Regular Unaltered



Altered - Dog is spayed or neutered. (Spay/neuter Certificate is required)




Senior - Pet owner is 60+ and dog is spayed or neutered. (Spay/neuter Certificate is required)




Please note that we only license residents in the City of San Bernardino. If you live outside of the city or in an unincorporated county area within city limits, please contact your local animal control agency and ask how to license your pet.

Look up your pet's license online or start a new registration. You will be taken to our software vendor's portal where you can purchase your license.

By Mail:

  • San Bernardino Animal Services - 333 Chandler Place, San Bernardino, CA 92408

  • Fill out our license application and mail in with proof of rabies vaccination

By Phone:

Remember, you must provide proof of spaying or neutering if you are applying for an Altered or Senior Altered Pet License (for the first time) and a copy of a current rabies vaccination certificate. Seniors must also provide proof of age = 60+ if applying for an altered senior license)

Learn more information about Animal Licensing, or call us at (909) 384-1304